As a general engineering and environmental engineering construction firm based in Salt Lake City, we focus on railroad, industrial, utility and emergency response services
Pacific West was founded on principles of integrity, innovation, hard work, reliability and above all SAFETY. As an environmental, industrial, mechanical, and general engineering contracting firm specializing in the railroad service-space, Pacific West takes a service solutions approach to support and exceed all customer needs.
Since 1988, Pacific West has been a trusted provider of comprehensive, cost-effective and safety–driven solutions to several industries including oil and gas, transportation, chemical, industrial, power utility and government sectors.
The Company’s strengths include:
Hands-On Project Experience
- Our team has hundreds of years of combined environmental, industrial, mechanical, general engineering management, and field experience.
- Our experience is built from the field level up so our expertise offers safe, innovative, and cost-effective solutions.
- Pacific West team members have held high–level management positions for multi-billion-dollar companies in the transportation, utility, and environmental space.
- Our knowledge provides the best available technology with a streamlined implementation that efficiently and successfully meets the customer’s objectives.
Best-in-Class Customer Service
- Pacific West’s awareness plays a strong role in the diverse service capabilities that we offer our clients.
- We very much appreciate our broad customer base, their loyalty, and the trust they put in us. At the end of the day, we will be where you need us, when you need us.
Safety is No Accident
Pacific West has an unyielding commitment to maintaining the highest operational and safety standards.
Our personnel undergo rigorous training in environmental and emergency disciplines and all services are delivered to meet a variety of applicable benchmarks including OSHA, NFPA, and ANSI.
Our team of seasoned veterans are charged with developing young, talented individuals. All team members are eRailSafe qualified, background checked, and we are members of IS Networld, Avetta (Browze), and Veriforce.
Jay Harwood, the founder of Pacific West, was approached (1988) by Union Pacific Railroad (UP) to help find a solution for the disposal of 30k tons of petroleum-contaminated soil (PCS) at UP’s Portola, CA, rail yard. Working with CA regulators and the UP Environmental Management Group, Harwood helped develop a successful method to recycle PCS into road building materials, resulting in referrals, including Southern Pacific Railroad. Our customer base soon expanded to include Rocky Mountain Power, the Idaho Nuclear Laboratory, Chevron, Conoco/Phillis, and recently, BNSF Railway.
We began to provide emergency response crews (1995) to UT, ID, WY, NV, MT, and CO clients for clean-up of hazardous materials and non-hazardous spills, which continues today. Each employee is specifically trained and certified in all aspects of environmental remediation services, including:
- Confined space entry
- Federal Railroad Administration Roadway Worker Protection
- First Aid, CPR
- Mining Safety & Health Administration Training
- OSHA 40-hour training and yearly updates
- Respirator protection and FIT test
- UP Railroad On-Track Safety Training
We entered the general contracting arena (1997) to complement our environmental and emergency response work and to provide a growth platform. Our projects range from under $10k to $4m. We target projects involving construction disciplines that utilize the same type of equipment used in our environmental operations to create synergies resulting in good equipment utilization. Since 2006 all Pacific West employees have received personal background investigations as part of UP’s Homeland Security Policy; anyone not passing is not hired. In addition to our emergency response contracts, we provide UP and BNSF with non-emergency services, such as:
- Cleanup of locomotive service pits
- Rail yard cleaning using hi-rail equipped vacuum trucks
- Sand tower maintenance and repair
- Snow removal
- Transloads of materials
- Transportation of out-of-service rail cars
- Wastewater treatment facilities operation and maintenance
- Water and sewer line repair
- Yard grading
Union Pacific Railroad requested us to provide emergency response services (1999). Since then, our clientele has expanded to include Rocky Mountain Power’s Distribution Division and their Power Generation Division, BNSF Railway, Western Petroleum, Utah Railway, Big West Oil, Holly Refining, LMH Environmental, Chevron Pipeline Services, and more. We provide 24/7/365 coverage. Most clients require diesel fuel, gasoline, and transformer oil spill cleanup and remediation. We also offer cleanup of acids, glycol, lime, oils laden with PCBs, soil laden with asbestos, lead, arsenic, asphalt cement, and heavy oils, such as “bunker C” in our service regions (UT, southern ID, WY, western CO, NV, MT).
We take the health and safety of the public, our clients, personnel, and subcontractors’ personnel very seriously. We are committed to our comprehensive Corporate Health & Safety Program, which applies to all operations within the company and meets or exceeds all regulatory requirements. We are the recipient of the Charles A. Caine Award for Workplace Safety by the Workers Compensation Fund of Utah for “outstanding safety achievement over a three-year period.” Every project has a site-specific health and safety plan with:
- All managers, engineers, supervisors, and on-site technicians have a 40-hour safety training and annual refresher training in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120, which includes topics such as:
- Emergency procedures and contact telephone numbers
- Engineering controls, first aid, CPR training, and general safety
- Hands-on instruction during the training course
- Hazardous materials, potential health hazards, respiratory protection, decontamination procedures, PPE to be used, confined-space entry protocols
- Mandatory drug and alcohol testing program (outstanding workplace safety record)
- Monitoring and instrumentations
- Union Pacific Railroad “On-Track Safety Training” and FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) training annually (all employees)
As a full-service engineering and general contractor engaged in the areas of heavy-highway, civil, building, and mechanical construction for public and private sectors, we continue to earn a strong, positive reputation from our clients. We procure projects through competitive bidding and negotiation. We adhere to and have expertise in Construction Disciplines.